Turnip and Bacon Soup
Turnip and Bacon Soup Recipe. A delicious Irish soup for those chilly nights.
|salt pork||3/4 lb||chopped into 1/2 inch cubes|
|potato||2||peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes|
|turnip||1 1/2 lbs||peeled and sliced thin|
|chicken broth||6 cups|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp||to taste|
|nutmeg||1/4 tsp||to taste|
|Italian parsley||2 Tbsps||chopped|
- In a stock pot heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until they are translucent.
- Add the bacon and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and turnips. Combine well and lower the heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil uncovered.
- Lower to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Season with black pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.