An incredibly easy and economical soup to make during the week.
|lentil||1 lb||rinsed thoroughly|
|yellow onion||1||peeled & sliced in half|
|chicken broth||8 cups|
|thyme||1||sprig - leaves removed from the stem and diced|
- In a stock pot combine the lentils, clove, onion, bay leaf, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. Continuously skim the foam from the top.
- Remove the clove, yellow onion, and bay leaf.
- Add the crushed garlic, thyme, and butter.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Insert the clove into one of the onion halves for easy removal after cooking.