Tortilla Soup Recipe. A great soup to serve at your next sporting event viewing party. Give your guests big bowls, ladle in some tortilla soup, and have them top it with their favorite toppings. It's a meal in itself.
|corn oil||1 cup|
|tortilla||10||cut into strips|
|garlic clove||6||finely chopped|
|epazote||1 Tbsp||finely chopped|
|jalapeno chile||2||seeded & diced|
|chipotle chile (canned)||1 Tbsp||seeded and diced|
|tomato puree||2 cups|
|chicken broth||8 cups|
|salt||1 tsp||to taste|
|chili powder||2 tsps||to taste|
|cayenne pepper||1 tsp||to taste|
|cheddar cheese||1/2 lb||shredded|
|avocado||1||scooped and sliced|
- In a large stockpot heat half of the corn oil over medium heat. Add half of the tortilla strips. Cook until they have absorbed most of the oil. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the onion puree and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, epazote, jalapeno chiles, chipotle chile, tomato puree, cumin, bay leaf, chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts. Cover and cook for 40 minutes over low heat.
- Using a sauté pan heat the remaining corn oil over medium heat. Fry the remaining tortilla strips and place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the soup and allow to cool. When it has cooled shred the chicken.
- To the soup add the salt, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into a blender and puree.
- Serve the soup in bowls and top in the following order--tortilla strips, chicken, cheese, and avocado slices. Serve with slices of lemon on the side.