Strawberry Pie Recipe. A delicious desert made with fresh strawberries encased in a flakey crust.
|all-purpose flour||1 1/2 cups|
|vegetable shortening||1/3 cup||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|unsalted butter||3 Tbsps||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|water||1/4 cup||ice cold|
|cider vinegar||1/2 tsp|
|strawberry||6 cups||stems removed|
|sugar||1 1/4 cups|
|lemon juice||1 Tbsp|
- In a large mixing bowl combine the all purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients.
- With the mixer on begin to add the frozen cubed vegetable shortening and butter. It should resemble little pellets of flour.
- Whisk together the ice cold water, egg yolk, and cider vinegar. Using a fork begin to mix the dry ingredients. Drizzle in small amounts of the liquid mixture and continue to mix. You will end up with a loose dough. Gather up the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- On a flour dusted surface roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Place the dough within your pie tin allowing it to hang over the edge by 1 inch. Cut off the excess. Flute the edges.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the pie crust with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Prick the pie crust with a fork. Bake the pie crust for 25 minutes.
- Take 2 cups of the best strawberries and dip them in the sugar. Place in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- In a saucepan mash the remaining strawberries. Add the remaining sugar. Add a 1/2 cup of water. Add the lemon juice. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- In a bowl mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water until it is dissolved. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the mashed strawberry mixture stirring until it is a clear and thick sauce. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In the pie crust arrange a layer of the whole strawberries. Pour the strawberry sauce over the strawberries. Top with remaining strawberries. Place the pie in the refrigerator to set for 2 hours. Top with whipped cream and serve.