Sopa de Lima
Sopa de Lima Recipe. A hearty tangy chicken soup that is a great meal anytime.
|salt||1 1/2 tsps|
|cinnamon stick||1||1 inch long|
|oregano (dried)||1 tsp|
|red onion||1/2 cup||chopped|
|bell pepper||1/2||cored, seeded and finely chopped|
|tomato||2 cups||peeled and chopped|
|lime||3||seeded & juiced|
- In a stock pot combine the chicken breasts, garlic, yellow onion, cilantro, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and shred.
- Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat. Place the cinnamon, clove, cumin, and oregano in the pan. Gently move the spices around to toast evenly for 1 to 2 minutes. When toasted wrap in cheesecloth and set aside.
- In a sauté pan heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the red onion and bell pepper. Saute for 2 minutes or until the red onion is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the sautéed onion, bell pepper, and tomato mixture to the stock pot. Add the spices wrapped in the cheesecloth. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Add the lime juice and shredded chicken. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Remove the cheesecloth wrapped spices before serving.
The cheesecloth allows you to control the spices. By using this technique you won't have to worry about your guest biting on a piece of the spice that might be left in the soup.