Santa Maria Tri Tip
Santa Maria Tri Tip Recipe. The tri tip comes from the bottom section of the sirloin and it used to be used for stewing meat or hamburger but thanks to the hard work by the folks in the Central Coast area of California this cut of meat has gained in popularity and has become a favorite for the slow griller.
|triangle tip||2 lbs|
|black pepper||1/2 tsp|
|garlic salt||1/2 tsp|
- In a bowl combine the salt, black pepper, and garlic salt. Mix well.
- Rub the tri tip well with the salt mixture.
- If you are using a gas grill set the temperature to medium. If you are using a charcoal barbeque get the coals to the point that white ash is showing and the coals are glowing and are spread out in an even layer.
- Place the lean side down first and sear 5 to 10 minutes. Covered
- Flip to the fatty side and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Covered
- Flip once more and cook for 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 130 to 135 degrees. Covered
- Remove and allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To serve slice the tri tip against the grain.