Ropa Vieja Recipe. This is the classic Cuban recipe just like Mami used to make.
|flank steak||2 1/2 lbs||cut into 6 inch pieces|
|olive oil||1/4 cup|
|bell pepper||1||cored, seeded, and sliced into strips|
|tomato puree||2 cups|
|black pepper||1 Tbsp||to taste|
|sweet peas||1/2 cup||drained|
- In a large stock place the flank steak and 1/2 of the bay leaves. Cover with water. The water level should be 1 inch above the meat. Add the salt to the water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours and then remove to a bowl to allow the meat to cool.
- In a large skillet heat the oil. Add the sliced onion, sliced bell pepper, and diced garlic. Saute until the onions are tranlucent.
- Add the tomato puree, sherry, and the remaining bay leaf. Combine thorougly. Cook uncovered over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- When the meat is cool enough to handle shred with two forks or your hands.
- Add salt and pepper to the meat to taste.
- Add the meat to the tomato sauce and combine thoroughly. Cook covered over very low heat for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with pimientos and sweat peas.
Remember a cuban meal is nothing without the black beans and rice.