Red Beans Recipe. A must have side for any Cajun and Creole dish. It is so good that you can serve it up with rice and it's a meal in itself.
|red kidney beans||1/2 lb||soaked in water to cover overnight|
|celery stalk||1 1/4 cups||diced|
|bell pepper||1 cup||diced|
|Tabasco Sauce||2 tsps||to taste|
|thyme (dried)||1 tsp|
|white pepper||1 tsp|
|garlic powder||3/4 tsp|
|oregano (dried)||3/4 tsp|
|cayenne pepper||1/2 tsp|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp|
- In a large stock pot combine the water, ham hocks, celery, onions, bell peppers, bay leaves, tabasco sauce, thyme, white pepper, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne, and black pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the ham hocks and allow to cool.
- Drain the red kidney beans of any water and add to the stock pot. Bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the meat from the ham hocks.
- Chop and add back to the stock pot. Stir and cook for an additional 10 minutes.