Pozole Recipe. This is a wonderful dish when serving a crowd. It's a great recipe for a one dish meal.
|onion||2||medium - chopped|
|pork shoulder - butt roast||3 lbs|
|salt||1 1/2 Tbsps||to taste|
|oregano (dried)||1/2 cup|
|pequin chile||1/4 cup||optional - very hot|
- In a large stock pot combine the chicken, onion, garlic, cilantro, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and allow to cool. Pour the chicken stock into a large bowl and place to the side.
- In the same stock pot combine the pork shoulder butt roast, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour.
- Skim the surface constanly for any fat.
- After the pork has been cooking for 1 hour add the hominy and cook for an additional 1/2 hour.
- Remove and shred the pork meat. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and shred.
- Add the shredded pork, shredded chicken, and chicken stock to the stock pot and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Add salt to taste.
When serving the Pozole provide your guest with bowls of chopped onion, cilantro, pequin chile, and limes. Allow them to add their desired amounts of flavor.