Potato Pancakes Recipe. Better known as latkes these are little fried cakes of shredded potato and onion that goes great with applesauce and sour cream.
|russet Burbank potato||2 lbs||grated|
|baking powder||1/2 tsp|
|all-purpose flour||2 Tbsps|
|salt||1/2 tsp||to taste|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp||to taste|
|vegetable oil||1/2 cup|
|sour cream||1 cup|
- Place the grated potato and onion in a strainer for 5 minutes. Using your hand push down to strain out any liquid.
- Place the strained potato and onion in a large bowl and add the egg, baking powder, all-purpose flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Depending on the moisture add more flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add two tablespoons of the potato pancake mixture and press down with a spoon to form a 2 to 3 inch circle. Repeat to fill but not crowd the pan.
- Fry on each side for 3 minutes until Golden brown.
- Place on a paper lined plate to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve with applesauce and sour cream.