Potato and Cheese Strata
Potato and Cheese Strata Recipe. Strata is defined as layers. And this is what you will get with this recipe. Layers of delicious bread slices of your choice, creamy potatoes and melted fontina cheese. This is a great recipe for a crowd that is assembled the day before and baked just as they arrive for your gathering.
|yukon gold potato||2 lbs||peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|bread -slices||16||crust removed|
|unsalted butter||1/2 cup||softened|
|olive oil||3 Tbsps|
|yellow onion||1/2||finely chopped|
|fontina cheese||3/4 lb||grated|
|half & half||3 1/2 cups|
|Italian parsley||3 Tbsps||minced|
|salt||1 Tbsp||to taste|
|black pepper||1 Tbsp||to taste|
- In a stockpot cover the potatoes with salted water and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Spread the bread slices on a baking sheet and place in an oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until toasted. Remove the crusts from the bread slices. Butter one side of the bread slices and cut the slice into 3 equal size strips.
- In a large sauté pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and sauté until translucent. Add the potatoes, garlic, and rosemary. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Combine and mix for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and place in the refrigerator to completely cool.
- Grease the inside of a 12\" x 9\" casserole with the butter. Place a layer of the toasted bread strips butter side up inside of the casserole. Mix and match pieces so that there are no gaps or spaces showing. Evenly spread half of the potato mixture on top of the bread. Evenly cover with half of the grated fontina cheese.
- Cover with another layer of toasted bread strips and the remainder of the potato mixture and grated fontina cheese. Top with the remaining toasted bread strips.
- Beat the eggs and mix in the half & half, minced parsley and salt & pepper to taste. Slowly and evenly pour over the bread slices allowing it to soak into the layers. Tightly cover with plastic wrapping.
- Place weight on top of the plastic wrapping to compress the layers. Use items like bags of beans, rice, or sugar. The egg mixture might overflow so be ready to wipe up the excess with paper towels. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day preheat your oven to 325 degrees and remove the strata from the refrigerator. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Place in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the sides of the strata begin to release from the sides of the casserole and the top begins to brown. Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
The better the bread the better the strata so search for a delicious loaf of artisan bread and have it sliced. Actually get an extra loaf because you\'ll probably snack on some slices as they become toasted with butter.