Pot Roast Recipe. They say that the smells and tastes of food evokes memories. This recipe will bring back memories of home as this is probably the best known family recipe. There is nothing like coming home and smelling a pot roast cooking in oven.
|beef chuck roast - boneless||3 lbs||patted dry|
|salt||1/4 cup||to taste|
|black pepper||2 Tbsps||to taste|
|olive oil||2 Tbsps|
|tawny port||1 1/2 cups|
|beef broth||2 cups|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tbsps|
|tomato - chopped (canned)||3 1/2 cups|
|oregano (dried)||1 Tbsp|
|thyme (dried)||1 Tbsp|
|brown sugar||1 Tbsp||packed tightly|
|carrot||3/4 lb||peeled and cut diagonally into 3/4 inch slices|
|parsnip||1/2 lb||peeled and cut diagonally into 3/4 inch slices|
|turnip||1/2 lb||peeled and cut diagonally into 3/4 inch slices|
|button mushroom||1/2 lb||cut into 1/2 inch slices|
- Sprinkle the beef chuck roast all over with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a medium size oven proof casserole pot. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the beef chuck roast to the pot and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the onions. Saute until tranlucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in tawny port and deglaze the pot. Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomato, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, minced gingerroot, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the beef chuck, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and mushrooms.
- Place the ovenproof casserole into the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and turn the beef chuck over. Cover and place back into the oven for an additional 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove and allow the roast to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Combine the cornstarch and water until well dissolved. Stir into the cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Cook until the desired thickness is reached. Place the sliced meat on a platter and surrond with the cooked vegetables and thickened sauce.