Pollo a la Brasa
Pollo a la Brasa Recipe. This is the classic Peruvian chicken dish that is slow roasted on a rotisserie in wood burning brick oven. Unfortunately not everyone has a wood burning brick oven so here we use the next best thing indirect heat from an outdoor grill. This chicken has rich deep flavors and is traditionally served with french fries.
|aji panca paste||1 1/2 tsps|
|huacatay paste||1/2 tsp|
|white distilled vinegar||2 Tbsps|
|beer - dark||1/4 cup|
|soy sauce||1 Tbsp|
|ginger||1 tsp||peeled and grated|
|rosemary||1 1/2 tsps||minced|
|black pepper||1/2 tsp|
- Take a chicken and wash it inside and out. Place in a sealable plastic bag.
- In a bowl combine the aji panca paste, huacatay paste, white distilled vinegar, dark beer, and soy sauce. Stir in the minced garlic, grated ginger, minced rosemary, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the bag to coat the chicken inside and out. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare your grill for indirect heat grilling (see notes). Place a piece of aluminum foil in the center of the grill.
- Place the whole chicken on the aluminum foil in the center of the grill and roast for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chicken breast side down onto a piece of aluminum foil and roast for 10 minutes.
- Flip the chicken once again backside down and roast for 5 to 10 minutes longer or until the chicken thigh reaches an internal temperature of 170 to 175 degrees.
- Remove from the grill and baste the chicken with the juices that accumulated on the aluminum foil. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before carving.
If you have a gas grill have one side of the grill turned on and the other off. Place the ribs on the side that is turned off and close the barbeque. This allows the heat to circulate and cook your ribs without burning them. If you are using a charcoal barbeque separate the coals to both sides of the barbeque and none in the middle. Place the chicken in the center of the grill and put the top on the barbeque. Seriously consider using smoke wood chips when making this chicken for added flavor.