Pecan Pie Recipe. A southern favorite of sweet nutty goodness baked in a perfect flakey crust.
|all-purpose flour||1 1/2 cups|
|vegetable shortening||1/3 cup||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|unsalted butter||3 Tbsps||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|water||1/4 cup||ice cold|
|cider vinegar||1/2 tsp|
|brown sugar||1/2 cup|
|corn syrup - dark||1/2 cup|
|corn syrup - light||1/4 cup|
|unsalted butter||1/4 cup||melted|
|vanilla extract||1/2 tsp|
|pecan pieces||1 1/2 cups|
- In a large mixing bowl combine the all purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients.
- With the mixer on begin to add the frozen cubed vegetable shortening and butter. It should resemble little pellets of flour.
- Whisk together the ice cold water, egg yolk, and cider vinegar. Using a fork begin to mix the dry ingredients. Drizzle in small amounts of the liquid mixture and continue to mix. You will end up with a loose dough. Gather up the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- On a flour dusted surface roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Place the dough within your pie tin allowing it to hang over the edge by 1 inch. Cut off the excess. Flute the edges.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, sugar, salt, dark corn syrup, light corn syrup, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the pie dough.
- Fill pie dough with egg mixture.
- Place the pie in the oven on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
If the crust gets too dark too fast lower heat to 300 degrees after 10 minutes.