|all-purpose flour||1 1/2 cups|
|vegetable shortening||1/3 cup||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|unsalted butter||3 Tbsps||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|water||1/4 cup||ice cold|
|cider vinegar||1/2 tsp|
|peach (canned)||4 cups||drained & sliced 1/4 inch thick|
|water||1 1/2 cups|
|Pie Crust Coating|
|heavy cream||2 tsps|
- In a large mixing bowl combine the all purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients.
- With the mixer on begin to add the frozen cubed vegetable shortening and butter. It should resemble little pellets of flour.
- Whisk together the ice cold water, egg yolk, and cider vinegar. Using a fork begin to mix the dry ingredients. Drizzle in small amounts of the liquid mixture and continue to mix. You will end up with a loose dough. Gather up the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a sauce pan combine the sliced peaches, water, and sugar. Stir well and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and the water. Stir well until you form a paste and pour into the peach mixture. Stir until the liquid of the peach mixture is clear. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a baking sheet on the center rack.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it. One larger than the other. Roll both out on a flour dusted surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Place the larger amount of the dough in the base of a 9 inch pie pan. Allow the crust to hang over the edge by 1 inch. Cut off the rest.
- Pour in the peach mixture and cover with the smaller amount of rolled out dough.
- Flute the edges of the dough together and using a sharp knife make small slits in the center of the pie. Brush the heavy cream onto the pie and sprinkle on the sugar.
- Place the pie in the oven on the baking sheet and bake for 40 to 50 until golden brown.