Orzo Pasta Salad
Orzo Pasta Salad. A mandatory salad for picnics, tailgating, or summer bbq's. This salad is very light and full of flavor. The added mint gives it that little fresh taste.
|olive oil||1/2 cup|
|lemon juice||1/4 cup|
|lemon zest||1 tsp|
|salt||1 pinch||to taste|
|black pepper||1 pinch||to taste|
|yellow bell pepper||1||core removed, seeds removed, and diced|
|cucumber||1||peel, slice in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and dice|
|ricotta cheese||1 cup|
|mint (fresh)||1/2 cup||minced|
- In a bowl combine the olive oil, shallots, lemon juice, garlic cloves, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Allow to sit for 1/2 hour.
- In a pot bring salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the orzo pasta and allow to cook for 10 to 13 minutes until al dente.
- Strain the pasta and rinse briefly under cold water.
- Place the pasta in a serving bowl and stir in the oil mixture. Combine well. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When the pasta has cooled add the yellow bell pepper, cucumber, ricotta cheese, and mint.
- Combine well and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
The longer this salad sits the better it gets.