Onion Rings. One of the top comfort foods. This version takes sweet Maui Onions, adds a layer of spicy, and wraps it all up in rich coating. Nothing like a hearty crunch of an onion ring.
|Maui Onion||2||sliced to form 1/2 inch rings|
|salt||1 1/2 tsps||to taste|
|all-purpose flour||2 cups|
|bread crumbs||1 cup|
|garlic powder||2 tsps|
|salt||1 Tbsp||to taste|
|black pepper||2 tsps||to taste|
|hot sauce||1 cup|
- Salt the onion rings and place in the buttermilk.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot or wok to 375 degrees.
- In a baking dish mix the all-purpose flour, bread crumbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Taste the flour for taste and adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Mix together the beaten eggs and hot sauce.
- Remove the onion rings from the buttermilk and dredge it through the flour mixture.
- Dredge the onion rings through the egg wash.
- Dredge through the flour mixture once again.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden.
- Place on a paper lined dish to drain before serving.
When frying do yourself a favor and get a candy thermometer to get the correct temperature of your oil. The temperature of the oil can make or break your dish.