Lotus Hearts Salad
Lotus Hearts Salad Recipe. Cool, crunchy, colorful, and tangy. Escape the doldrums of the salad bar and try this exciting Vietnamese salad. Each bite is full excitement.
|rice vinegar||1 cup|
|daikon||1/2||peeled and julienned|
|carrot||2||peeled and julienned|
|lotus heart||2 cups||drained, rinsed, cut into halves lengthwise, and 2 inches long|
|vietnamese mint (rau ram)||2 Tbsps||coarsely chopped|
|lime||2||seeded and juiced|
|fried shallot||1 tsp|
|peanuts - dry-roasted unsalted||1 Tbsp||optional - chopped|
|lime||1||seeded and juiced|
|sugar||2 Tbsps||to taste|
|fish sauce||2 1/4 Tbsps|
- In a large bowl combine the water, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Place the julienned daikon and carrot in the water mixture. Marinate for 1/2 hour.
- In a large saucepan boil 4 cups of water. Fill a large bowl with the ice and water to cover.
- Boil the shrimp for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove and submerge into the ice water for 3 minutes to stop the cooking process.
- Drain the julienned daikon and carrot and set aside.
- In a salad bowl combine the lotus heart, mint, daikon, and carrots. Add the lime juice and mix well.
- Add the shrimp, fried shallots, and peanuts.
- To make the dressing combine the lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce. Mix until the sugar dissolves and set aside.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and serve.