Gingerbread Cookie Recipe. The classic cookie recipe for the holidays. Have fun with your family decorating the cookies with different expressions and outfits.
|brown sugar||1/4 cup|
|dried ground ginger||2 tsps|
|baking soda||1 tsp|
|unsalted butter||1/4 lb|
|all-purpose flour||3 cups|
|confectioners' sugar||1 cup|
|lemon juice||1/4 tsp|
- In sauce pan combine the molasses, brown sugar, sugar, dried ground ginger, and cinnamon over low heat. When the sugar has dissolved completely add the baking soda. Continue to cook over the low heat until the mixture begins to make small bubbles.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the molasses mixture with the butter. Stir until the butter melts completely. Slowly stir in the egg.
- Using the hand mixer combine 1 cup of flour at a time to make the dough.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Cover your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface roll out the gingerbread dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter cut out your shapes. Place on the covered baking sheets.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cookies are slightly firm. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to sit for 3 minutes on the baking sheets then remove them to cool on wire racks. Decorate with icing.
- To make the icing combine the confectioners sugar, egg white, and lemon juice. The longer the icing sits the thicker it will become.
1 batch makes about 12 cookies. If you have a double boiler use it to combine the molasses with the brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon.