Quesadillas Recipe. What a real quesadilla is supposed to be.
|masa harina||2 cups|
|vegetable shortening||1 1/2 Tbsps|
|Monterey Jack cheese||2 oz||grated|
- In a bowl mix together the masa harina, vegetable shortening, salt, and water. Knead for 2 minutes until you have a soft dough. If the dough feels too dry add 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Take a tablespoon and scoop out the dough to form a ball that is 1 inch in diamater. Repeat.
- Line a tortilla press with 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Place the ball in between the plastic and press down with the press to form a tortilla that is 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Remove the top layer of plastic.
- Place a spoonful of the Monterey Jack cheese and a sprig of epazote on one half of the tortilla. A 1/2 inch from the edge. Fold the tortilla in half to form a half circle. Press the edges together and remove the bottom layer of the plastic. Repeat.
- In skillet warm the oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry 2 to 3 minutes per side and remove to a paper covered plate to dry.