Fried Quesadilla with Chorizo and Potato
Fried Quesadilla with Chorizo and Potato Recipe. Chorizo and Potatoes are a winning combination and wrapped up in a tortilla makes it all the better.
|potato||2||peeled and chopped|
|chorizo||3/4 lb||removed from casing and chopped|
|masa harina||2 cups|
|vegetable shortening||1 1/2 Tbsps|
|corn oil||2 cups|
- Bring a stockpot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook until fork tender. Drain the potatoes.
- In a sauté pan fry the chorizo over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Use a spatula to break up the chorizo into tiny bits and stir frequently. Stir in the potatoes and salt to taste.
- In a bowl mix together the masa harina, vegetable shortening, salt, and water. Knead for 2 minutes until you have a soft dough. If the dough feels too dry add 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Take a tablespoon and scoop out the dough to form a ball that is 1 inch in diameter. Repeat.
- Line a tortilla press with 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Place the ball in between the plastic and press down with the press to form a tortilla that is 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Remove the top layer of plastic.
- Place a spoonful of the potato chorizo mixture on one half of the tortilla. A 1/2 inch from the outer edge. Fold the tortilla in half to form a half circle. Press the edges together and remove from the bottom layer of plastic. Repeat.
- In a large frying pan heat the corn oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry 2 to 3 minutes per side and remove to a paper covered plate to dry.