Ensalada de Navidad
Ensalada de Navidad Recipe. This is a classic holiday recipe from Mexico City. It is a sweet and nutty treat that goes great with any savory dish.
|beet||2||peeled and trimmed|
|jicama||1||peeled and cut into 1/2 x 2 inch pieces|
|orange||2||peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|pineapple guava||2||peeled and seeded into 1 inch pieces|
|peanut||1/2 cup||roasted unsalted|
|pecan halves||2 oz||shelled|
- Put beets into a medium pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until soft when pierced with tip of a knife. This takes about 30 minutes.
- Drain and reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Set aside the beets and liquid to cool.
- Cut beets into 1/2 x 2 inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- Put jicama, oranges, raisins, guavas, prunes, peanuts, pecans, and sugar into bowl with beets.
- Add reserved cooking liquid and toss to mix well.
Take extra care when preparing the beets as their juice will stain any lite clothing.