Corn Tortillas Recipe. There is nothing like a warm handmade tortilla to make a Mexican meal special. Spread with a little butter or add some cheese and you have the perfect snack.
|masa harina||2 cups|
|baking powder||1/4 tsp|
|lard||1 1/2 Tbsps|
- In a bowl mix together the masa harina, baking powder, lard, salt, and water. Knead for 2 minutes until you have a soft dough. If the dough feels too dry add 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Heat an ungreased skillet, griddle, or comal over medium high heat.
- Take a tablespoon and scoop out the dough to form a ball that is 1 inch in diameter. Repeat.
- Line a tortilla press with 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Place the ball in between the plastic and press down with the press to form a tortilla that is 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Place on the cooking surface and cook on each side for 50 to 60 seconds.
- Place a cloth in a bowl and wrap the finished tortillas to keep warm.
A tortilla press is required for this recipe.