Cold Spring Pea Soup
Cold Spring Pea Soup Recipe. A delicious cold soup with a hint of smokiness for a warm afternoon lunch or supper.
|split pea||3/4 cup|
|yogurt||3/4 cup||drained overnight|
|unsalted butter||1/4 cup|
|leek||1||white part only chopped|
|chicken broth||4 cups|
|green pea (frozen)||1 lb|
|salt||1 pinch||to taste|
|white pepper||1 pinch||to taste|
|white peppercorn||1/2 tsp||cracked|
- The night before place the split peas in a bowl and cover with water. Cover with plastic wrap and place on your kitchen counter. Place the yogurt in a fine mesh sieve that is placed over a bowl in a refrigerator to drain overnight.
- In a large saucepan melt the unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add the yellow onion, leek, celery, garlic, thyme, and bacon. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the split peas of any excess water and add with the chicken broth to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 45 to 50 minutes until the peas are fork tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in the frozen peas.
- Pour the soup into a blender and puree for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- To serve garnish with a dollop of the drained yogurt, freshly cracked white pepper, and mint.