Chilatole Recipe. This is a meal in itself for those chilly mornings or evenings.
|chicken broth||10 cups|
|masa harina||3 cups|
|water||1 1/2 cups||cold water|
|corn kernels||2 cups|
|serrano chile||2||seeded and diced|
|heavy cream||2 cups|
|salt||1/4 tsp||to taste|
|pepper||1/4 tsp||to taste|
- In a stock pot heat the butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until they are translucent.
- Add the chicken stock and epazote and boil for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl place the cold water. Drizzle the masa harina into the water while mixing with a fork.
- Add the water and masa harina mixture to the chicken stock. Stir constantly for 10 minutes.
- Place a strainer over a separate pot. Strain the soup into the pot and return to a simmer over low heat.
- Add the diced serrano chiles and corn kernels. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the heavy cream and serve with the diced red onions as a garnish.
When you combine the masa harina with the cold water you will get a lumpy dough. The lumps will be strained out during one of the steps of the recipe.