Beignet Recipe. A taste of New Orleans. This is a classic southern dessert recipe. This goes great with either hot chocolate or a glass of champagne. 1 batch will give you about 25 to 30 beignets.
|active dry yeast||1|
|vegetable shortening||2 Tbsps|
|evaporated milk||1 1/4 cups||warmed|
|all-purpose flour||4 1/2 cups|
|confectioners' sugar||1/2 cup|
- In a mixer with a dough hook combine the active dry yeast, sugar, shortening, and warm evaporated milk.
- Add the egg and continue to mix.
- Add the flour a cup at a time and continue to mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic and allow the dough to rise for 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or deep sauce pan to 375 degrees.
- To form a beignet, tear a piece of the dough and roll into a 1 inch size ball. Repeat.
- Fry each dough ball for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle confectioners sugar over the beignets and serve.