Wild Rice Stuffing with Apples and Chestnuts
Wild Rice Stuffing with Apples and Chestnuts Recipe. A great alternative to a classic bread stuffing. This recipe is a great combination of flavors and textures. You can't go wrong when you combine bacon and apples.
|wild rice||1 cup|
|chestnut||1/2 lb||roasted and chopped|
|Italian parsley||1/2 cup||chopped|
|olive oil||1/4 cup|
|Granny Smith apple||2||cored and chopped|
|thyme (dried)||2 1/2 tsps|
|chicken broth||1 cup|
- Bring the water to a boil and add the salt. Pour in the wild rice and cover. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour until the rice is tender, begins to crack, and white begins to show from the tips. Strain the rice and combine with the chestnuts and Italian parsley. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped bacon and fry for 8 to 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the onion and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped apples and thyme and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to bring up the bits and pieces of flavor.
- Stir in the rice mixture and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and place in the greased casserole. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and serve.
Chestnuts can be purchased in a jar or raw. To prepare raw chestnuts slice each chestnut on one side. Place in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the chestnuts are tender. Once they are cool peel and dice.