Tom Kha Gai Soup
Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe. The best known Thai soup recipe. Delicious chunks of chicken in a rich coconut broth with a hint of heat and citrus.
|chicken broth||6 cups|
|lemon grass||6||lower thick portion only - pounded|
|kaffir lime leaves||8|
|chicken breast||2||cut into 1 inch cubes|
|straw mushrooms (canned)||1 3/4 cups||drained and rinsed|
|roasted Thai chile||1||smashed|
|fish sauce||1/3 cup|
|lime juice||3 1/2 Tbsps|
|coconut milk||1 3/4 cups|
|cabbage||1 1/2 cups||chopped|
|cilantro||1 1/2 tsps||chopped|
- In a stockpot combine the chicken broth, galangal, and lemon grass.
- Roll the lime leaves and crush lightly within your hand. Add to stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Strain the broth and return to the stockpot. Return to a simmer.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, and roasted Thai chiles. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice and coconut milk.
- Add the chopped cabbage and cook until just tender. About 1 minute.
- Divide among the serving bowls and garnish each with cilantro.