Thai Beef Salad
Thai Beef Salad Recipe. This salad has everything going on. You have the crispiness of the vegetables. The heartiness of the meat that has a spicy taste. And the salty sweetness of the dressing. You put this altogether and you get the perfect combination of flavors that makes one of the best salads ever.
|cilantro||2 Tbsps||stems only - diced|
|white peppercorn||1 Tbsp||crushed|
|fish sauce||1 1/2 Tbsps|
|soy sauce||1 1/2 Tbsps|
|flank steak||1 lb|
|bean threads||1/2 cup|
|peanut oil||2 Tbsps|
|lemon grass||1||lower thick portion only - sliced thin|
|kaffir lime leaves||3||sliced thin|
|red onion||1/2||sliced thin|
|mint (fresh)||1/2 cup||leaves only|
|lime juice||1/4 cup|
|fish sauce||1/4 cup|
|palm sugar||3 Tbsps|
|cherry tomato||1/2 lb||quartered|
|cucumber||1||peeled and sliced thin|
|green onion||2||sliced thin|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp||to taste|
- In a large bowl combine the diced garlic, cilantro stems, crushed white peppercorns, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Place the flank steak within the bowl. Coat well. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to marinate.
- In a separate bowl soak the bean thread in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes and drain. Cut the bean thread into 3 inch pieces. In a small saucepan boil some water. Fill a bowl with ice cubes and water. Submerse the bean thread into the boiling water for 1 minute and remove to the ice cold water to stop the cooking. Remove after 5 minutes.
- To prepare the dressing heat the peanut oil in a medium size skillet over high heat. Add the garlic, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the onion, mint leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, and palm sugar. Stir well. Remove to a bowl and chill.
- If you are using a gas grill set the temperature to medium. If you are using a charcoal barbeque get the coals to the point that white ash is showing and the coals are glowing and are spread out in an even layer. Grill the meat on each side for 5 to 10 minutes or until done. Remove and allow the meat to sit for 15 minutes.
- In a salad bowl combine the bean thread, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, green onion, and cucumbers. Drizzle with half of the dressing.
- Slice the meat against the grain into thin strips and add to the salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the meat.
- Add black pepper to taste, toss, and serve.