Sweet and Spicy Fish
Sweet and Spicy Fish Recipe. A classic Vietnamese dish that combines the sweet flavor of brown sugar and the spiciness of black pepper. It looks and tastes amazing. If you're looking for a quick and flavorful dish for an intimate gathering this dish is for you.
|red snapper||1 lb||1/2 lb. per person|
|black pepper||1 tsp|
|canola oil||1/4 cup|
|brown sugar||1/4 cup|
|white wine||1/2 cup|
|fish sauce||1/4 cup|
|water||1/2 cup||if needed|
|fried shallot||2 Tbsps|
- Take the lemon grass stalk and slice off the ends. Remove 3 layers of the skin until you reach a clean light green color. Thinly slice the lemongrass and continue to finely mince until you reach a powder like substance. Set aside.
- Take the scallions and trim the ends. Smash the scallions flat with the side of your knife. Slice lengthwise into 2 to 3 pieces and then cut crosswise into 2 - 3 inch lengths. Set aside.
- Take your red snapper and sprinkle with the black pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat a medium size skillet over high heat. Add the canola oil and coat the pan.
- Toss in the lemongrass. Immediately place the fish in the hot oil and sear for 10 to 15 seconds on each side.
- Toss in the brown sugar around the fish and stir in the white wine. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium and add the scallions.
- Cook uncovered for 5 minutes then turn the fish and cook for an additional 5 minutes. As the liquid cooks down, lower the heat little by little, just enough to prevent the sauce from burning. It will reduce gradually to a texture somewhere between a heavy syrup and a paste.
- Top with the fried scallops and serve.