Rice with Lentils
Rice with Lentils Recipe. Rice, lentils, and bacon. It's the bacon that makes it so good. It's a great side dish that will make any meal special.
|bell pepper||1||cored, seeded, and diced|
|olive oil||1/4 cup|
|salt||1 tsp||to taste|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp||to taste|
|oregano (dried)||1/2 tsp|
|rice, long white grain||2 cups|
- In a saucepan combine the water, lentils, bay leaf, and half of the diced bell pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and strain the lentils reserving the cooking liquid.
- Add the olive oil to the saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the bacon, onion, remaining diced bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the lentils and the remaining ingredients to the sauce pan.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid for each cup of rice in the recipe. If there is not enough cooking liquid left you may use water to compensate.
- Cook until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice which should take about 15 minutes.
- Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to make sure the rice does not stick and burn.