Pumpkin Pie Recipe. It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie.
|all-purpose flour||1 1/2 cups|
|vegetable shortening||1/3 cup||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|unsalted butter||3 Tbsps||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|water||1/4 cup||ice cold|
|cider vinegar||1/2 tsp|
|pumpkin - canned||1 lb|
|dried ground ginger||1/2 tsp|
|ground cloves||1/4 tsp|
|evaporated milk||1 1/2 cups|
- In a large mixing bowl combine the all purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients.
- With the mixer on begin to add the frozen cubed vegetable shortening and butter. It should resemble little pellets of flour.
- Whisk together the ice cold water, egg yolk, and cider vinegar.
- Using a fork begin to mix the dry ingredients. Drizzle in small amounts of the liquid mixture and continue to mix. You will end up with a loose dough. Gather up the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place a baking sheet in the oven.
- On a flour dusted surface roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Place the dough within your pie tin allowing it to hang over the edge by 1 inch. Cut off the excess. Flute the edges.
- In a bowl add the pumpkin and the beaten eggs. In a separate bowl combine the sugar, salt, cinnamon, dried ground ginger, and ground cloves. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin. Drizzle the evaporated milk and mix at the same time.
- Place the pumpkin filling into the pie crust and place it in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. The pie will be done when you can insert a toothpick into the filling and it comes out clean.
Allow the pie to cool completely on a wire rack before serving. If it is not served after it has cooled, place it in the refrigerator.