Pad Krapow Recipe. Pad Kra Pow in Thai means stir-fry with Basil. It's a great dish to learn and it gives one a good lead into understanding Thai cooking.
|serrano chile||4||thinly sliced|
|ground chicken||1 1/2 lbs|
|dark soy sauce||1 Tbsp|
|sweet soy sauce||1 Tbsp|
|fish sauce||3 1/2 Tbsps|
|chili paste in soybean oil||1 Tbsp|
|sweet basil (fresh)||1 cup||leaves only|
|white pepper||1 tsp|
- Heat a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the oil, garlic, and chile's. Cook until the garlic begins to brown, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry until the chicken begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the dark soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, and fish sauce. Stir-fry until the liquid is reduced by 1/2, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chili paste.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until the chicken is cooked through. This should take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the basil leaves and add the white pepper. Stir until combined.
- Serve with Jasmine rice.
This dish is usually made with either Thai Basil or Sweet Basil depending on which is in season. If you can find the Thai Basil (also known as Holy or Hot Basil), it is more flavorful. This dish is hot, but it's up to you to decide if it's gonna be a "brush fire" or a "four alarm". The less adventurous can use anything from black pepper to serrano chili. The adventurous should go directly the dangerous Thai Chili. The bottom line is the dish should be a balance between salty and spicy with a hint of sweetness.