Navy Bean Soup
Navy Bean Soup Recipe. There is nothing like a hot bowl of Navy Bean soup on a cold winter's day. The good news is it's very easy to make and doesn't take all day.
|navy bean||1 lb||thoroughly rinsed|
|yellow onion||1||small & diced|
|salt||1 Tbsp||to taste|
|black pepper||1/2 tsp||to taste|
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Allow to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a stock pot combine the navy beans, ham hock, and water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour or until the navy beans are tender.
- In a sauté pan melt the butter over medium heat and add the diced yellow onion.
- Sauté until the onions are translucent. Remove and set aside.
- When the navy beans are tender remove the ham hock and set aside.
- Stir in the diced yellow onion.
- Slice off the meat from the ham hock bone and dice. Add to the soup and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.