Fried Plantains Recipe. Fried Plantains are a classic side dish and staple of many Latin American homes. The sweet flavor of plantains go well with savory dishes, rice dishes, or just by itself.
|vegetable oil||3/4 cup|
- Peel the ripe plantain. Slice on an angle.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Add a portion of the plantains to the hot oil. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry on each side for about 2 minutes until the plantains are golden.
- Remove the plantains to a paper covered plate.
- Pat the plantains dry with a paper towel.
- Repeat with the remaining plantains.
When you buy plantains they will most likely be very green. Do not even think about cooking them until they are ripe. Unripe plantains are very hard to peel and when they are fried they are be rock hard. Ripe plantains are very tender and the skin starts to become black.