Chocolate Mousse Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe. A piece of heaven for the dark chocolate lover.
|unsalted butter||3/4 cup|
|all-purpose flour||1 Tbsp|
|bittersweet chocolate||2/3 lb||cut into one inch pieces|
|unsweetened chocolate||3 oz||cut into 1 inch pieces|
|vanilla extract||2 Tbsps|
|light brown sugar||2/3 cup|
- You will need a double boiler to melt the chocolate and butter. Fill the bottom boiler with water. Fill the top portion with the bittersweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate. Bring the bottom boiler to a simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted. Remove from the heat and pour into a separate bowl. Allow to cool.
- Beat the egg yolks and add to the melted chocolate with the vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
- Using a standing mixer whip the eggs whites on medium speed. Add the salt. When the egg whites become foamy add a 1/2 of the sugar and increase the speed to high. Beat for about 30 seconds. Add the rest of the sugar and beat for another 2 minutes or until the egg whites look like whipped cream.
- Add the whipped egg whites a 1/2 at time to the chocolate and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Using a spring form cake pan grease the sides with butter. Dust the sides of the pan with the flour and tap out the excess. Cover the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Wrap the outside of the pan with aluminum foil to create a water tight seal.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cake pan. Place the cake pan in a roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with hot water until it reaches a height of 1 inch.
- Place the roasting pan into the pre-heated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The cake will be done when it has risen and the internal temperature has reached 170 degrees.
- Remove the cake pan from the roasting pan. Remove the aluminum foil. Place on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Using a small knife cut around the sides to slightly separate the cake from the pan. Allow to cool for another 3 hours. Then place in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours. Remove the cake from the pan and serve.