Champ Recipe. Who needs gravy? Not these potatoes. Champ is awesome and if you're not careful you'll find yourself eating these potatoes right out of the pot. The flavor comes from the green onions.
|potato||4 lbs||peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces|
|water||10 cups||enough to cover potatoes|
|salt||2 Tbsps||to taste|
|whipping cream||1 cup|
|green onion||2 1/2 cups||chopped|
|salt||1/2 tsp||to taste|
|black pepper||1 pinch||to taste|
|butter||2 Tbsps||to taste|
- Place the potatoes in a large stock pot, cover with water, and add salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced by a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking bring the cream to a simmer.
- Stir in the butter and green onions. Remove from the heat and cover.
- When the potatoes are cooked drain thoroughly and mash.
- Stir in the butter mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make a mound out of the potatoes and make a well. Place the butter in the well and allow to melt before serving.
The proper way to eat this dish is to make a well in the mound of mashed potatoes and add butter. Cover the potatoes and allow the butter to melt. Using your fork or spoon scrape the sides of the mound and dip into the well of butter.