Celery Root Puree
Celery Root Puree Recipe. Ever hear of celery root? It's not very attractive when you buy it but what it lacks in beauty is made up in flavor. When this vegetable is cleaned up and cooked with potatoes you get a creamy delight that makes an excellent side dish for any great meal.
|celery root||3 lbs|
|potato||2||peeled and chopped|
|unsalted butter||1/4 cup|
|salt||2 tsps||to taste|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp||to taste|
|nutmeg||1/4 tsp||to taste|
- Using your knife cut off the bottom of the celery root so it lays flush on your cutting board. Cut off the top that resembles celery stalks. Slice down the sides removing the skin. You will end up with a semi circular type of square. Continue to slice off the brown skin till the whole vegetable is white in color.
- Chop the celery root into 1 inch cubes.
- Combine with the potatoes in a stock pot and cover with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Drain the water and add the cream. Bring the cream to a simmer over medium heat and cook stirring constantly until the cream is absorbed.
- Add the butter and continue to stir until it is melted and combined.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Using a food mill or potato ricer to puree the mixture to get a nice creamy texture.