Carrot Soup Recipe. This is very light and spicy soup made from carrots.
|vegetable stock||4 cups|
|potato||1||medium, peeled, and chopped|
|onion||1||medium and chopped|
|carrot||6||medium - peeled and chopped|
|garlic clove||2||large and chopped|
|serrano chile||1||deseeded and chopped|
|gingerroot||1||2 inch pieced - peeled and chopped|
|olive oil||2 Tbsps|
|garam masala||1 tsp|
|Chinese five-spice powder||1 tsp|
|sesame oil||1 tsp|
|salt||2 tsps||to taste|
|black pepper||1 tsp||to taste|
- In a stock pot bring the vegetable stock to a boil over high heat.
- Add the potato, onion, carrots, and garlic. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer over low heat and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- In a frying pan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the serrano chile and gingerroot. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the garam masala, Chinese five-spice powder, and lemon juice. Sauté for another minute.
- Add the sesame oil and continue to stir until the sauce thickens. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- When the vegetables in the broth are tender add the sauce from the frying pan.
- Using a blender puree the soup. Heat and serve.
Garnish the soup with the chopped cilantro. When using the blender to puree the soup. Remember that the soup is hot and it will expand and splatter if you're not careful. Start with small batches and by setting your blender on pulse then set it to puree. Consider covering the blender with a kitchen towel in case it does splatter.