Caribbean Fried Rice
Carribean Fried Rice Recipe. When you think of the Caribbean you need your rice, beans, and plantains. This dish brings it all together. It can be served as a salad, side dish, and a meal in itself.
|olive oil||3 Tbsps|
|carrot||1||peeled and chopped|
|basmati rice||3 cups|
|chicken broth||3 cups|
|red pepper flakes||1 pinch||to taste|
|black beans (cannned)||3/4 cup||drained|
|cumin||1/4 tsp||to taste|
|thyme (dried)||1/4 tsp|
|oregano (dried)||1/4 tsp|
|salt||1 tsp||to taste|
|black pepper||1/2 tsp||to taste|
|plantain||2||ripe, peeled and sliced|
|vegetable oil||1/2 cup||seeded|
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrot. Sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the jasmine rice and thoroughly combine.
- Add the chicken broth, water, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, black beans, cumin, thyme, oregano, cinnamon stick, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer over very low heat.
- Cover the pot and cook for about 20 minutes.
- In a frying pan heat the vegetable oil over medium heat and fry the plantains on each side for about 2 minutes. Remove to a paper covered plate to dry.
- Chop the plantains. Add with the green onions and cilantro to the dish. Combine well and serve.
The plantains for this dish should be very ripe. Look for plantains that are tender and have a black skin.