Caponata Recipe. The all-encompassing Sicilian dish. It can be a sauce for pasta, an amazing dip for bread, a relish for sandwich, or a meal in itself.
|olive oil||1/4 cup|
|white wine vinegar||1/3 cup|
|plum tomatoes - canned||3 cups|
|tomato paste||2 Tbsps|
|ripe olive||6||green - pitted, sliced|
|anchovy||1/4 lb||cut in half|
|pine nut||1/2 cup||toasted|
|salt||1/2 tsp||to taste|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp||to taste|
- Slice off the ends of the eggplant and chop into 1 inch pieces. Place in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Toss and allow to drain for 1 hour.
- In a large sauté pan heat half of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Sauté until the onion is translucent. Remove and add to a stockpot.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the sauté pan and sauté the chopped eggplant in batches for 10 minutes at a time.
- Add the eggplant to the stockpot.
- To the stockpot add the white wine vinegar, plum tomatoes, tomato paste, capers, and anchovy fillet. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pine nuts. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to cool and serve at room temperature.