Caldo Verde Recipe. The national dish of Portugal. A great soup for a large gathering especially on a chilly day. Imagine a steamy bowl of this soup with a large chunk of crusty bread.
|olive oil||1/4 cup|
|potato||6||peeled and chopped|
|linguica||1/2 lb||sliced thin|
|black pepper||1/2 tsp|
- In a stockpot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the yellow onion and garlic clove. Sauté until translucent.
- Add the potatoes and sauté for 2 minutes mixing well.
- Stir in the cold water and raise the heat to high. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and can be easily mashed.
- In a sauté pan add the linguica and place over low heat. Cook for 10 minutes and remove from heat to a paper towel covered plate to drain.
- Take the kale and trim the ends. Take one end of the kale and roll up. Thinly slice the kale to create shreds.
- Using a potato masher mash the potatoes in the soup. Add the linguica, cover, and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the soup and add the shredded kale. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.