Bread Stuffing - Sausage, Dried Apricots, & Chestnuts
Bread Stuffing Recipe. What makes Thanksgiving other than the turkey? Its the stuffing its all about the stuffing. The great thing about this stuffing is the spiciness of the bacon, the sweetness of the apricots, and the nutty buttery flavor of the chestnuts.
|Italian sausage||1 lb||remove the casing and dice|
|unsalted butter||1/2 cup|
|onion||1||large - chopped into 1/4 inch dice|
|celery stalk||2 1/2||medium size - chopped into 1/4 inch dice|
|black pepper||1/2 tsp|
|sage (dried)||1/2 tsp|
|thyme (dried)||1/2 tsp|
|dried apricot||1 cup||cut into thin slices|
|bread stuffing||12 cups|
|chicken broth||1 cup|
- Slice each chestnut on one side. Place in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the chestnuts are tender. Once they are cool peel and dice.
- Warm the oil in a stock pot over medium heat and add the diced sausage. Cook until the sausage is evenly browned and remove to a plate covered with paper towels to drain.
- Add the onions and celery. Cook for 20 minutes over low heat. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the black pepper, marjoram, sage, salt, thyme, Italian parsley, apricots, and chestnuts. Mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat.
- Add the bread stuffing, chicken broth, and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease a baking dish and pour in the bread stuffing mixture.
- Place uncovered in the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the top of the stuffing is crisp.
The most important ingredient for any stuffing is the bread cubes. If you have the time and want to make your stuffing extra special and tasty. Buy a 1 pound loaf of your favorite bread. It can be Focacia, French, or any other specialty bread that is baked with herbs and spices. Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes and place them on a cookie sheet. Toast them in your over for about 15 to 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Your guest will be ever so grateful.