Bacon Wrapped Steak with Balsamic Onion Relish
Bacon Wrapped Steak with Balsamic Onion Relish Recipe. When you are done eating this dish you will find yourself licking the plate. The coupling of the dark rich sweet taste of the balsamic onion relish with the bacon wrapped perfectly cooked filet mignon medallion is quite literally a match made in heaven.
|vegetable oil||1/4 cup|
|onion||2||medium size - sliced thin|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp|
|balsamic vinegar||1/2 cup|
|filet mignon||2 lbs||cut into 1 inch thick by 2 inch wide medallions|
|bacon||1/4 lb||1 slice for each medallion|
|black peppercorn||1/4 tsp|
|vegetable oil||2 Tbsps|
- In a large frying pan heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Add the onions and lower the heat to medium. Add salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Sweat the onions down for 15 minutes and stir occasionally. You want the onions to get very soft.
- Add the sugar and reduce the heat to low. Mix thoroughly and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the balsamic vinegar. Mix thoroughly and cook for 20 to 40 minutes until the relish becomes a dark rich syrup.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. Heat the vegetable oil over high heat in an oven proof skillet or cast iron skillet.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each filet mignon medallion and secure with a toothpick. Salt and pepper each side.
- Sear each side of the filet mignon medallion for about 2 minutes. Place the entire skillet into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. The steaks will be medium rare.
- Remove the filet mignon medallions from the skillet and allow them to rest for 2 minutes. Remove the toothpicks Top with the relish on the top or side and serve.
When you go to the meat store ask them for filet mignon medallions. 1 medallion per person. Soak the toothpicks in water prior to using them to fasten the bacon around the filet mignon medallions.