Baby Lettuce Salad with Bacon & Croutons
Frisee Aux Lardons Recipe. A classic French Bistro salad recipe that combines large bacon bits, croutons, baby lettuces, and a warm vinaigrette. When you combine all of these wonderful flavors it the perfect kickoff to a special meal.
|olive oil||1/2 cup|
|salt||1 pinch||to taste|
|black pepper||1 pinch||to taste|
|salt pork||1/2 lb||chopped into 1/2 inch cubes|
|red wine vinegar||3 Tbsps|
|Italian parsley||1 Tbsp||chopped|
|baby lettuces and greens||12 cups|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush each side of the baguette slices with olive oil. Set the remaining olive oil to the side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut into 1 inch cubes and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Place the chopped salt pork in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Heat the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes. Remove the salt pork and pat dry.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped salt pork and fry for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the fried salt pork and all but 1/2 cup of the fat from the frying pan.
- To make the vinaigrette add the shallots, red wine vinegar, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and garlic to the warm fat. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes until the shallots become translucent. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a salad bowl toss the baby lettuce, fried salt pork, and croutons.
- Drizzle with warm vinaigrette and serve immediately.