Apple Tarte Tatin
Apple Tarte Tatin Recipe. The classic French version of apple pie. Caramelized apples on top of flakey crust. It is beautiful and delicious.
|all-purpose flour||1 1/2 cups|
|vegetable shortening||1/3 cup||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|unsalted butter||3 Tbsps||frozen - cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|water||1/4 cup||ice cold|
|cider vinegar||1/2 tsp|
|sugar||1 1/2 cups|
|Golden Delicious apple||6||cored, peeled & halved|
|unsalted butter||1/2 cup|
- In a large mixing bowl combine the all purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients.
- With the mixer on begin to add the frozen cubed vegetable shortening and butter. It should resemble little pellets of flour.
- Whisk together the ice cold water, egg yolk, and cider vinegar. Using a fork begin to mix the dry ingredients. Drizzle in small amounts of the liquid mixture and continue to mix. You will end up with a loose dough. Gather up the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the apple halves into 4 slices and place in a bowl. Pour the lemon juice over the apples to prevent browning.
- Cut the butter into little bits and scatter on a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Shake the sugar over it and add 2 tablespoons of water to keep it from crystallizing. Caramelize the sugar by placing the cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the butter and sugar have caramelized take the pan off the heat.
- Place the pieces of apple vertically on top of the caramel in the cast iron skillet, taking care to fill the gaps with more pieces so they stick together in a solid mass. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar over the apples. Put the cast iron skillet on the heat for 15 minutes at a medium heat until the caramel starts bubbling up through the apples.
- On a flour dusted surface roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Place the dough over the apples folding the edges into the cast iron skillet. Make 3 or 4 holes with a knife and 1 in the middle to let steam out when baking.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes and then let it rest for 15 minutes. It is important that you do this otherwise the apples will fall apart when you turn it over.
- Take a dinner plate and put it over the cast iron skillet. Turn it over. Slowly lift off the cast iron skillet. Serve lukewarm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.